Saturday, January 30, 2010

Come On Eileen!

A little while back my sister Susannah showed me an 80's song called Come On Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners. For some reason this week it has just exploded in my world and I've listened to it so much. It's kind of a ridiculous song and the lyrics are a little/very sketchy, but musically I think it's completely ingenious. It's the kind of song that can lift my spirits within like 10 seconds, it's just such a happy song.

Anyway, I survived the first week of classes. It wasn't too bad. My Spanish teacher is, once again, from Spain and talks faster than Seabiscuit (runs). Terrible example. But the other day she kept saying "Buenos días Josh!!!" which means "Good job Josh!!! You're my favorite student." Just kidding, it means "Wake up dummy! Why are you so confused all the time? I didn't come all the way to America for this crap." The worst part was when she told me, in Spanish, that by the end of the year I would find it much easier to understand what she says. For some reason I thought she was saying that I needed to work harder to improve so I was like "Como se dice BRING IT ON!?!?" right back to her. I meant this to be a playful way of accepting her academic challenge. Apparently she was just trying to encourage me. Oh man. Telling this story makes me sad. Kind of hilarious.

Dudes-A-Plenty is in full swing. So fun. Sweepstakes.

Today I found this quote that I had written on a friend's wall like over a year ago, I thought it was funny: "Once upon a time there was a boy with a pet cat named Lillian. One day Lillian got sick and died. Turns out she had feline AIDS. Turns out the boy was me."

I think it's crazy when I read stuff I don't remember writing. I'm usually just like "Who was I?" It's so confusing. Apparently I was pretty funny whenever I wrote the Lillian comment. Lillian was a great cat, she was just a little promiscuous. I won't even go into the story of her kittens, I will seriously start crying. That was a tough week. It was like the show Survivor except there was only one tribe and all the contestants were kittens. Yep, eyes are starting to water.

Now my palms always sweat. I know it's gross, but it's just my body. But seriously, right now it's on another level. My palms have turned into sprinklers. I know nobody wants to hear this, but I just thought I'd be straight with you, the reader (Tyler, Mom, Sisters). It's also important to note that if I've ever lost a game of ping pong, it is strictly because of my sweaty palms and not because, for example, some red head dude who thinks he's awesome beat me outright. But even if any of that had happened, it wouldn't matter cause I would have already beaten the dude like 3 or 27 times. I would also have bigger muscles.

Well I think I'm about out of stuff to say. Here's a cheesy line I found from when I was like 15. Definitely remember feeling this way about songwriting. It's just never as good as you thought it was at first.

I'll write it down for now but later I will hate it
Just like when I sang for you and told you that I made it

You never reassured me so I threw the song away
It's just like how you watch me when I sing to you today

I'd show it to you now but I know you'd probably hate it
Kind of how I'll look at you and tell you that I've made it

Talked to Mary Grace on facebook. Score!

Also curly is the new red.

-Joshua





2 comments:

  1. If I hear you play Come On Eileen AGAIN I might just have to kill you in ping pong, AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude. you are absolutely hilarious. hands down- hilarious. heck, even hands up. so much i could comment on from this one...especially such similar spanish thoughts/moments...however, even after commenting on literally every post (since i said i would), i still do not qualify as a reader worth noting.im saddened. i will try harder...

    ReplyDelete